* “My pet stays indoors, so there’s no need for heartworm prevention.” Oh so Wrong!
Heartworms are carried by mosquitoes, which get into everyone’s homes! One mosquito bite is all that’s needed to spread the disease to your furry friend.
* Cats can get heartworms too. In fact, this disease is more deadly in cats than dogs.
*This disease is affordable to prevent. We offer mail in rebates and free product offers on the products we carry in house to help you afford this protection. Ask us which product is right for your pet.
Is Chocolate poisonous to pets?
Of all the candies, chocolate is the most toxic to pets, however the degree of danger chocolate has differs though in each case. In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more poisonous it is. The chemical in chocolate that is dangerous is called methylxanthines and is very similar to caffeine. Methylxanthines are more concentrated in darker chocolates while white chocolate contains very low amounts of it and rarely causes poisoning. Chocolate toxicity also varies by the weight of the pet too. If you believe your pet may have ingested chocolate, symptoms to watch for include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, agitation, increased thirst, an elevated heart rate and, in severe cases, seizures. If you have caught your pet "in the act" or within 1 hour of ingesting, the easiest and safest thing to do would be to induce vomiting. This can be done in our hospital by an IV injection. Removing the remaining undigested chocolate prevents your pet's body from absorbing the full amount of chocolate poisoning and helps the body in a faster recovery.
Monday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Thursday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Doctor appointments available!
TATES CREEK ANIMAL HOSPITAL
4101 Tates Creek Centre Drive, Suite 146
Lexington, KY 40517
Phone: (859) 273-1933